8/15/07

Nurture This

Last night, after realizing we’re now going on week three of having nothing edible in our apartment other than pet food, Avery and I figured it’d be a good time to re-affirm how broke we are. We were standing in front of the wall-o-yogurt looking at fat content to price ratios when a kid went running full force into our shopping cart and then dropped like a rock. It all seemed to happen in slow motion, with the soundtrack of Avery saying “Daaaayummm” rounding out the experience, and finished with Avery and me doing the kind of laugh that sneaks out when you are desperately attempting to not laugh at all because of the seriousness of the situation. The kids mother wasn’t paying enough attention so as to realize her kid was running on a trajectory ending in our shopping cart, but she was all eyes and ears when she heard us laugh at her fallen, precious, little angel. Naturally, prior to this juncture of the evening, she was doing the stereotypical ignoring of her out of control children with intermittent pleas/yelling for the brats to stop behaving like a wankers.

The kid drops, the kid screams, Avery and I do the don’t-laugh laugh, and Mummy comes running over to the kid, then looks at Avery and me who are very obviously holding back huge smiles and barrels of laughs, scoffs, and proceeds to yell at us for running our shopping cart into her child. Not a smart move. It’s never a good thing to accuse people of your mistakes in public, and it’s really not good to accuse people who are a mélange of emotions none of which are on the side of decent or good, and Avery and I were in foul, foul, foul moods. What do you expect? We had $65.00 to feed ourselves for the next 3 weeks. And people wonder why we’re skinny.

Shitty Mum: “You should watch where you’re going. My God, I think he’s got a concussion.”
Avery: “We weren’t going anywhere, our cart wasn’t moving. We were just standing here when your kid ran into the cart.”
Shitty Mum: “Well you should have moved the cart so he wouldn’t run into it!”
Me: “Well, you should have been watching your kid.”
Shitty Mum: “I have two other kids to watch after too, what are you two looking at?”
Avery: “Your kid drop like a rock to the ground.”
Me: “They aren’t our kids, they aren’t our responsibility.”
Shitty Mum, after giving Avery the evil eye: “Well you could have a little decency, you know? To help others out.”
Me: “We already missed that opportunity, seeing as you procreated.”
Shitty Mum: “You two have a lot of nerve telling me I’m an unfit mother.”
Avery: “Well, if our opinion doesn’t matter, we can call Child Protective Services to verify your mothering abilities.”
Me: “You know what, Avery? Out of our decency and our desire to help others out, we should call them. I’m sure once we tell them she was ignoring her child until he was potentially seriously injured they’ll be very interested.”
Shitty Mum: “You two are crazy.”
Avery, after pulling his cell out and waving it in her face: “It’s a phone call, or you shut up and keep moving. You decide.”

She kept moving.

Labels:

Brought to you by Mistress Empyrean at 8/15/2007 09:56:00 AM
| link to this post |




11 People Who Bitched:

Blogger SpongyBones said...

OH God! This is the truth. Me I can be standing near a kid and if the little shit falls or anything I get the blame. Parents look at me as if I am some kind of monster or something ... yeah like I need to be the guy that get's his entertainment from puching around the little shits that you freaks allow to run this earth amuck ... I'm adding that number to my cell now!

August 15, 2007 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

You guys are horrible. But at least it's the good kind of horrible.

August 15, 2007 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

That woman will be talking about the two evil spirits that haunt the yogurt aisle of the supermarket for the rest of her life.

What did you wind up buying?

August 15, 2007 at 11:09 AM  
Blogger MsFreshBananaPuddin said...

Hey, I think we are on the same diet. Mine seems to be working too.

I hate kids. And I hate people with kids who blame their kids problems on you…

MsP

August 15, 2007 at 3:04 PM  
Blogger Mighty Dyckerson said...

Well played. As an added touch, I would have run over the little retard with the shopping cart...then yelled CLEANUP ON AISLE THREE as I trampled over his lifeless corpse.

August 15, 2007 at 4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! some tuff ass folk shoppin' in that there store. y'all look out for ya selves!

August 15, 2007 at 9:18 PM  
Blogger Stan Bull said...

O Mephitic one,
I sense anger amid the poverty.Stan'll feed you.But not the dude. Come on over.

August 16, 2007 at 4:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was fucking AWESOME. I hatehatehatehate parents like that. They give the rest of us a bad name.

Had it been my kid, my first instinct would have been to check the cart for dents, yelling, "Holy shit, I'm going to have to pay for this...how much are shopping carts nowadays, anyway?"

August 16, 2007 at 4:00 PM  
Blogger Erica Ann Putis said...

Wow - you guys sure gave her some tough love. I'm sure she will never forget that incident. Haha...

August 17, 2007 at 3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am surprised that either you or the woman would think that CPS would be open at night. Perhaps the general public pays a whole lot more taxes where you live, in 'nirvana'.

August 17, 2007 at 6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey missy,
Are ya still alive?

August 19, 2007 at 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

♦Home♦